"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven." Ecc. 3:1





Photo credit to darlingbydesignphotography.com







Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Psalm 51

I have read this passage before, but it has stuck with me for a few weeks now. I keep going back to it, over and over again. I am a firm believer that if something "follows you", you better pay attention!

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (v. 10) As I read the words I think towards the future, I am asking Him to make my heart pure. Help me to see what it is within me that needs to go......my fears, my desires, my plans. To be honest that is a little scary! I also want His steadfast spirit renewed within. I think it is interesting that it says "renew". It doesn't say "create" a steadfast spirit, it says "renew" what is already there. I want it to be fresh and more deeply rooted.

But then a little further it says, "You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it: you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." (v. 16-17) Wouldn't it be easier to bring him a dead sheep or sweet smelling oil? But break my spirit and my heart? I want to be happy, and blessed, and have everything that I want...my way and my time! I want to walk through this life without any pain or suffering. But then who would I be? What could I bring to the table then?

I don't know. I'm not sure what to expect. But I do know this, I want to be changed. I want to be more like Him this time next year. Isaiah 64:8 says, "Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

No comments: